I’ve been on Clubhouse for a month and a half now, so I figured it’s about time to share a few of my initial thoughts.
- During my first week on Clubhouse, I was addicted. I even started bringing my phone with me into the shower. Considering my previous iPhone died from water damage, I’m not sure why I thought bringing my brand new iPhone 12 mini into the shower was a good idea. Addiction.
- The majority of Clubhouse rooms, at least the ones in my feed, are a complete waste of time. I can’t believe how much time I spent listening to people introduce themselves and make small talk.
- There’s this narrative going around that claims Clubhouse enables information to be condensed and delivered efficiently. I forgot who said it most recently, but they were talking about how listening to 15 minutes of conversation on Clubhouse is more educational and impactful than listening to a 15 minute podcast. I think this claim is statistically unlikely.
- Clubhouse is exhausting when there are more than ten people on stage at once. The best rooms are the spontaneous ones with three or four people.
- MLM and Ponzi schemes are everywhere. Be careful.
As you can probably tell, I’m not super into Clubhouse. I was super excited about it at first, but quickly realized it’s mostly a waste of time with occasional moments of glory (e.g. the chat with Elon Musk).
P.S. If you need an invite, let me know.